What are the Parts Of A Glock?
While Glock handguns were first designed for the Austrian army, it did not take them long to arrive in the United States and become the standard-bearer for pistols in this country. Used by police forces and military units of all kinds, Glocks are known for their stability, reliability, and light overall weight. One of the reasons why Glocks are so reliable is that they are made from so few parts. With fewer parts to Glock pistols overall, there is simply less that can go wrong. Furthermore, because Glocks have so few parts, it is easy for gun enthusiasts everywhere to take them apart and put them back together. For those who want to make modifications to their Glock pistols, it is important to know how the various parts work together.
The Exterior Parts of a Glock
There are several parts of a Glock that can be seen from the outside. These include:
- The Chamber: The chamber is the portion of the Glock that holds the cartridge before it is ready to fire.
- The Frame: The frame is the largest part and makes up the body of the pistol. The frame is responsible for housing the gun’s interior parts.
- The Slide: The slide is the top half of the pistol. This portion is pulled back manually in order to load a cartridge into the chamber from the magazine of the gun.
- The Trigger: The trigger is the level that the user squeezes to begin the process of firing the Glock.
- The Trigger Guard: Around the trigger is something called a guard. This looks like a cage. It provides both safety and protection for the user. A Glock does not have a manual, external safety. The trigger guard fulfills this role.
- The Slide Catch: There is a latch on the left side of the gun. This latch locks and releases the slide once the last round has been fired, making it easier to reload the weapon.
- The Rear and Front Sights: These are notches that are raised on the slide of the gun to help the user aim.
- The Barrel: This is a large metal tube that encloses the round, spinning it as it is released from the weapon.
- The Grip: The grip is located on the handle. It often has a different texture, making it less likely for the gun to slip in the hand.
- The Magazine Well: This is the housing component for the cartridges. Magazines should slide in and out of this well with ease.
This is an overview of the exterior parts of a Glock pistol.
The Internal Parts of the Glock
Because a Glock has so few pats, many of the parts can be viewed from the outside. This means that there aren’t that many parts to the interior. The interior parts include:
- The Barrel Interior: All Glock barrels have a distinct spiral pattern on the interior. This is called rifling. The grooves act to spin the bullet as it travels through the barrel, helping it maintain its accuracy in flight.
- The Recoil Spring: The recoil spring helps absorb some of the “kick” that users feel when the gun is fired.
- The Firing Spring: The firing spring pushes the firing pin forward when the trigger is pulled.
- The Firing Pin: The firing pin is responsible for striking the primer on the cartridge. This begins the ignition process and ultimately fires the bullet.
These are the various parts of the internal makeup of a Glock.
Modifications and Accessories for Glock Pistols
There are many users who want to make modifications to their Glock pistols. The good news is that with so few parts, there are plenty of options for modifications. Some of the most common modifications include:
Maritime Spring Cups: Many users like to add these coveted maritime spring cups because it will protect their Glock pistols from being exposed to water. These spring cups can be added to shield the firing spring and firing pin from moisture, which would otherwise make the ignition process impossible.
Trigger Springs: Some Glock users want to add a trigger spring that is heavier than the original, making the gun harder to fire.
Extended Slide Release: Some users like to add an extended slide release to the Glock. This makes the reloading process easier.
Top Glock Accessories from Ghost Inc.
At Ghost Inc., we have everything you need to make your Glock pistol unique to you. Contact us today to learn more about our Glock accessories and parts!
Glock Parts and Handgun Accessories by Ghost Inc
The world's best Glock triggers, Glock connectors and Glock parts and accessories