What You Need To Know About The AR -15
If you are looking for a firearm that you can use for a wide variety of purposes, then you might have thought about going with an AR-15. An AR-15 is a lightweight, semi-automatic rifle that has served as the foundation of many rifles throughout the years. If you have heard this term thrown around, then there are a few key points that you should keep in mind before you decide if an AR-15 is right for you.
The AR-15 was developed in the 1950s by a former Marine working for a company called ArmaLite. ArmaLite is where the AR in the name “AR-15” comes from. The AR-15 is popular because it is incredibly light, easy to take care of, and can be adaptable for a wide variety of purposes. After the AR-15 was developed, Colt bought the patent and developed an automatic version of the AR-15, called the M16.
Even though the AR-15 was heavily used in Vietnam, it wasn’t produced for civilian use until the 1980s. By that time, the patent had expired, and lots of companies began making their own version of the AR-15. As a result, the AR-15 started to flourish in various settings, and numerous rifles today are based on the AR-15.
What Are the Advantages of the AR-15?
There are a few reasons why so many people have fallen in love with the AR-15. These include:
- The AR-15 is a versatile firearm. It is used both for sport shooting purposes as well as hunting. In addition, the AR-15 is also used for home defense purposes.
- The AR-15 is a durable firearm. It can stand up to routine wear and tear without people having to worry that the weapon will break down after a few uses.
- The AR-15 is also very accurate. The weapon is reliable and will hit its target as long as it is properly cared for.
- The maintenance of the AR-15 is also relatively light. Cleaning the AR-15 regularly is enough to make sure that it is ready to go when called upon.
Many people have compared the AR-15 to a car’s chassis because it is easy to take apart, reassemble, and modify. It is even possible for people to change the caliber of the ammunition that is fired from the AR-15.
Tips for Caring For an AR-15
To make sure that your AR-15 will work reliably when you need it, you need to make sure that you take care of it. Before you even think about cleaning your AR-15, you need to remove the magazine and make sure the chambered round is released as well.
To take care of your AR-15, you need to have a knife, a cleaner, cotton swabs, a toothpick, and a rag. You should then follow your specific manufacturer’s instructions to take apart the various parts properly. Use these pieces to clean every part individually. Inspect them thoroughly for any signs of defects. Then, put the AR-15 back together again and make sure that it responds appropriately.
Popular Modifications for the AR-15
One of the reasons people love the AR-15 is that it is relatively easy to modify. One of the most common modifications of the AR-15 involves the handguard. Switching from the tube that comes out of the factory to a customized, aftermarket handguard can completely change the way the AR-15 looks, feels, and responds. If you are looking for a handguard for the AR-15, some of the key tips that you need to note include:
- Think about the size of your hand. You might even want to measure your fingers to see how wide of a handguard you need.
- Consider your firing position. Think about the angle your wrist makes with your fingers as you wrap the handguard. This will help you find a handguard with the right angle.
- You should consider the texture of the grip as well. You want to ensure that your hand will not slip from the handguard when you pull the trigger, as this will impact your accuracy.
You may even want to consider using gloves to help you improve your grip, such as the Miracle Grip Glove from Ghost Inc, which will dramatically improve your grip!! If you are looking for aftermarket parts for your AR-15, check out the AR-15 magazine and MOAB upgrades.
Glock Parts and Handgun Accessories by Ghost Inc
The world's best Glock triggers, Glock connectors and Glock parts and accessories